The job description is below.
If you are interested please apply. Also feel free to share this with anyone you think might be interested.
Raise the Rates Campaign Organizer
Contract hours: ~ 15 – 20 hours per week
Pay rate: $20/hr. plus 15% in lieu of benefits
Commencing: Ideally during May 2017
Raise the Rates is a coalition of community organizations, faith based groups and unions working to get government to raise welfare rates, build more social housing, eliminate arbitrary barriers to accessing welfare, increase the minimum wage and raise taxes for the wealthy.
Raise the Rates uses a variety of activities and events to raise public awareness of the many reasons to significantly increase the present poverty welfare rates in BC.
- Organize actions/events involving local residents and community organizations to raise the profile of the campaign
- Convene, support and report to regular Raise the Rates meetings
- Act on the decisions of Raise the Rates’ meetings
- Support Raise the Rates volunteers
- Create media releases and organize and host press conferences to cover events of campaign
- Liaise with local community organizations, Raise the Rates coalition partners and supporting organizations about the work and plans of Raise the Rates
- Ensure ongoing financial stability of Raise the Rates
- Strong knowledge of poverty issues and issues facing the Downtown Eastside Community
- Previous experience leading lobbying campaigns or anti poverty campaigns
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Ability to listen and treat people with respect, and build good working relationships based on trust and cooperation
- Ability to use e-mail and social media to promote campaign
Email resume plus 2 letters of reference plus a half page essay on the causes of poverty to:
by April 21, 2017.